Rainbow Mountain 2 day
Instead of limiting yourself to seeing the mountain for just a few hours, this Rainbow mountain 2 day option gives you the chance to see a little more of the region it belongs to. Explore the Red Valley, have condensed version of our Ausangate trek and really appreciate the Rainbow mountain as you traditionally hike to it and camp out beforehand to be there when the first light touches the brightly colored streaks. Another benefit of this 2 day option is there will be much fewer people joining you at this time so you can really soak up the beauty without having to share around too much.
- Day 1: Cusco – Urcos – Quesyuno – Llamachimpana
- Day 2: Llamachimpana – Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) – Quesiuno – Cusco
Wild Alpacas, chinchillas and vicunas – The camelids that roam the region are integral to the way of life here in Peru. Some are used for food, other for herding, travel, or clothing, a lot you will see on the side of the road in Cusco that pose for photos. However on this trip you will get to see the sacred, protected and only one of the camelid family to be domesticated running free in their natural environment – the Vicunas.
Moving through local farm land and communities – Seeing the untouched lands of Peru used for farming and herding is a far cry away from the cities. You get to learn and understand how traditional communities live a thrive and have done this way for thousands of years.
Facts & Figures
- Highest Elevation: 5200 m (17,060 feet)
- Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m (14,189 feet)
- Distance to walk: 15 km (9.3 miles)
- Approximate walking time day 1: 3 to 4 hours
- Approximate walking time day 2: 6 to 7 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging