While you are relatively close to Cusco, you will feel like you are a world away as you venture into this nature reserve. You will discover an astounding variety of jungle wildlife, from plants to birds and animals, as you cut your own path with a machete. Our travels will include many forms of transportation–from boat and canoe to hiking on foot–on this extraordinary adventure.
Tambopata National Reserve, located in the Peruvian Amazon, was created in 1990 to protect the local ecosystems, noted for their extraordinary biodiversity. The area includes eight different zones, ranging from the rainforest to the to the cloud forest. There are reportedly more than 1700 species of plants, 100 species of mammals, 130 species of butterflies and 90 species of amphibians living there.
- Early morning pickup by private van from your Cusco hotel to take you to the airport.
- We fly to Puerto Maldonado, which calls itself the “Biodiversity Capital of the World,” and transfer to the tour office to fill out paperwork.
- Our city tour of Puerto Maldonado, founded by rubber barons in 1912, will include a visit to the local market.
- After heading back to the office, we will get on our boat to begin an unforgettable journey through the Madre de Dios River. On the way, we hope to see alligators, turtles, herons and other animals.
- Upon arriving at our Amazon ecolodge, we will have lunch
- After lunch we visit Monkey Island, in the middle of the Madre de Dios River by kayak.
- The Island hosts different monkey species: from the noisy Maquisapas, the happy Achuñis, the Frailes, to the very little and funny “leoncitos” or little lions.
- Heading back to the lodge by kayak, we will enjoy a welcome drink and settle into our comfortable bungalows.
We will enjoy a sumptuous dinner and spend the night at the lodge.
HIKE TO SANDOVAL LAKE
- Early morning, after breakfast, we take a boat to the Lake Sandoval area, which includes swamps and a diversity of “Aguajal” forests.
- We do a two-hour hike through the jungle to Lake Sandoval, The area has monkeys, crocodiles, otters, a vast variety of birds. We may event spot a jaguar (Andean lion).
- Back to the boat, boat to the lodge and have lunch.
- We will visit the Amazon Observatory, built on top of the biggest tree, the “SHIHUAHUACO” which will provide an amazing panoramic view of the jungle.
- In the afternoon, you can relax, spending time at the Amazonian pool or go ziplining or fishing.
- After dinner we take a night walk, looking for crocodiles and other forms of wildlife.
- We will be spending the night at our ecolodge.
- After breakfast, we will take a 2-hour hike to Cocha Perdida (Lost Qocha),
which hosts an ecosystem considered a refuge to a huge variety of animals,.
- We will be using machetes to help us clear a path along the way.
- Lunch will be back at the lodge
- Following our lunch, we will take a 2-hour hike to the Briolo and Gamitana Rivers for fishing.
- Our return will be by canoe, where we will observe turtles, caimans, butterflies and a great variety of insects along the way.
- We come back to the lodge for dinner and our overnight stay.
- Unfortunately, today we will have to leave the Tambopata National Park and say goodbye the staff in our lodge
- After breakfast we take a boat back to Puerto Maldonado,
- A private van will take us to the airport
- Upon arrival in Cusco, a private van will take you back to your hotel.
All of our guides studied English and other languages to ensure that communication is straightforward with all our clients. They also specialize in bird watching, spiritualism, flora & fauna, archaeology, history, architecture, and anthropology; they will take care and escort you from the beginning to the end of this experience.
Once we receive your details and a money deposit, we will book your permits and your accommodation in our lodge, and we will register them in your name with specific departure dates, please confirm the type of room you wish to stay in.
Our local trained chefs cook delectable, nutrient-rich meals that honor your food restrictions while surprising you with Peruvian culinary flavors. You will also have the opportunity to enjoy the typical delicious foods of the amazon jungle, prepare for a superb culinary experience to accompany this unforgettable expedition.
We always ensure you have plenty of clean drinking water, for mealtimes we include lemonades, coffee, tea, and maté; also, you will have enough boiled water to refill your bottle whenever needed. We use fresh spring water running down from the mountains. We require that you bring your own personal water bottle/s or Camelbak.
Your transportation is included. We will pick you up directly from the airport or bus station in Puerto Maldonado; then, you will be transferred into the National Park of Tambopata to our Amazon Lodge. If you still do not have any transport booked, please get in touch with our office, and we will help you.
Every guide is first aid trained and carries a first-aid kit and oxygen for fundamental medical problems (traveler’s diarrhea, elevation sickness, cuts, scrapes,insect and snake bites etc.). Every guide is equipped with a satellite phone in emergencies, allowing a quick exit off the trail to get you directly to a clinic for treatment if needed.
Your accommodation is included in our lodge located in the heart of the National Park of Tambopata, Madre de Dios, which is an authentic ecotourism project that local amazon families run; it includes private and comfortable rooms with a private bathroom, kitchen, swimming pool, and all essential services
We understand that traveling involves taking extra luggage, especially if you are on an extended vacation; we provide free storage to all our customers who are on tour; for this reason, we offer to store your luggage during your scheduled treks with us.
We believe it´s the attention to small details that separates us from our competitors. Every traveler receives a Backpack cover, t-shirts, a hat that protects them from the sun and rain while hiking, etc. We will work hard to create your best experience to remember for a lifetime!
All of our videos capture the very best of what we do, and can give you a real taste of each of the treks and tours we offer. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words”, so dive in.
YOU NEED TO KNOW
This page has all the facts, figures and important questions answered, while allowing you the opportunity to explore the adventure activities in detail.
Luckily for us the founder of Southern Peru Explorers is also a professional photographer! All our photos show the very best of what we do, and can give you a real taste of each of the treks and tours we offer. We recently added an option for photography specific tours, which are lead by professional photographers alongside our guides.
what people say?
We go the extra mile to ensure that your expedition with us is your best vacation yet; and for that, we have been recognized by our clients through consistently good reviews on TripAdvisor for more than twelve years. Read what our clients have to say and you’ll see that we are a company you can trust to keep you and your loved ones safe, healthy, and happy.
Once you have decided which adventure is best for you and your adventure partners, head over to the ‘Book Now’ tab. This will provide you with a booking form for you to provide your prsonal information. This will directly notify us about your booking, and after payment/deposit, it will reserve your space on the trek/tour you wish to participate in.
2 People $990.00
3 People $950.00
4 People $890.00
5 People $830.00
6 People $790.00
+7 People $750.00
FILL YOUR INFORMATION
The amazing staff is waiting for you and your friends/family!
Safe and easy booking in only 3 steps to secure the adventure of a lifetime!
Southern Peru Explorers directly operates all of our treks in the Cusco region, with world-renowned expertise, as trekking specialists. Following is our top recommended tour expeditions:
This amazing trek hugs the bottom of the sacred Salkantay mountain as it passes through Quechua communities and lesser-known Inca ruins before finally ending at Aguas Calientes.
This adrenaline-packed tour will take you down-hill biking through cloud forests, rafting through rapids, ziplining through trees and trekking on the original Inca trail, making it one
During this trek you will get to see the traditional weaving and handicrafts, as well as many other parts of the local culture. The trek culminates at Machu Picchu, a World Heritage site and one of
Our top of the line gear
We recognize that quality gear can make or break an outdoor adventure experience, and have hand-selected the top quality products to ensure you have the best possible experience on your adventures with us.